GIVE ME A RED- Marvel's Nuke in a bootleg comic/ outlaw comic/ 24 hour comic

Inspired by the Youtube channel Cartoonist Kayfabe ran by Ed Piskor and Jim Rugg, I decided to combine several types of comics covered on that channel.  One being a bootleg comic, where a cartoonist without the the rights to an established character makes their own comic using the established characters. In this comic, I used Marvel's NUKE who blew up Daredevil's world in Born Again. The other comic type was the outlaw comic where violence, drugs, obscenity and intense graphomania are the name of the game. And this comic was made in combined 24 hour sessions.

In GIVE ME A RED, NUKE is on a top secret operation during the Vietnam war but soon finds out he isn't the only one on a mission.






















Hope you enjoyed it.

This was my first bootleg/outlaw/24 hour comic and I learned a lot. One thing I learned is that I don't really like panels. Another thing I learned is I don't like round word bubbles.

I also didn't make at least a 20 page comic because I never realized how slow I do new things. The planning for this comic took up a lot of time. Originally, the fight was more of a struggle for both combatants, but it ended up only showing NUKE more as a war criminal. I didn't consider how long scanning and then transporting files between computers took,

I never ink my pencil drawings, so I had to figure out how to use my iPad as a lightbox. I would put the original art on the screen, then a piece of clear plastic on top of then, then the inking page on the very top. I didn't really like inking.

I did like using digital screentones. I just makes this thing look better. I didn't have enough time to be as detail intense as I wanted to be so only the first several pages have the copious amounts of ink that approaches what is used in outlaw comics. Because I was strapped for time, the dots filled in a lot of blank areas and make things look great. I really like how the flag on NUKE's face looks in the second panel. Best image I ever put together.




Contraband Research Links

Instagram
Twitter
Animations

Comments